Leadership Development Program, Executive-Level
Preparing the next generation of leaders
The Leadership Development Program, Executive-Level, is for employees within the Division of Extension and Engagement and the College of Agricultural Sciences. Participants should have significant professional experience (2+ years) within their assignment and a documented record of performance that indicates potential success in an advanced or executive leadership position.
The ten-month program includes:
- Ohio State Leadership Center-led deep-dive personal assessment curriculum and self-reflection
- Personal coaching calls
- Book clubs led by LDPE alumni and executives
- Social justice and equity work
- Training and workshop sessions throughout the year as driven and selected by the cohort based on needs
- Executive project and goals-based mentoring
- A summer Graduation Capstone with activities, speakers, team challenges, and certification
- Access to resources and support for your leadership journey
- And more...
The application for the 9th cohort for 2022-23 closed on Oct. 17, 2022.
For general program questions, contact Amanda Bielenberg-Hayes at 503-970-7399 or [email protected]
Timeline is tentative and will be updated as dates are confirmed. We are also tentatively planning on a hybrid year, with the December kick-off workshops and Summer Graduation Capstone occurring in person, and the remaining activities occurring virtually. This is dependent upon cohort needs and requests.
- September 19-21: Cohort 8 Summer Capstone and Graduation
- October 17: Cohort 9 applications due
- October 24: Cohort 9 participants announced
- November 9, 1-2pm: Cohort 9 Orientation Webinar
- December 12-14: Cohort 9 Kick-off: In-depth Workshop Series, led by the Ohio State University Center for Leadership - Alumni Center
- January - September: Cohort 9 Intermittent virtual leadership activities, including: trainings, coaching calls and peer-coaching, book clubs, activities, and discussions (driven by cohort)
- February - August: Cohort 9 "Leadership fellow” experience under supervision of assigned executive mentor, not to exceed three months
- August: Cohort 10 Applications available
- TBD 3 Days in August/September: Cohort 9 Summer Capstone and Graduation
- October: Cohort 10 participants announced
- October: Cohort 9 evaluations
What people are saying about LDPE:
"With LDPE, I appreciated the time to learn, to process, to explore. The program offers a variety of experiences over 9 months, each one building on the other. The greatest value for me was having the opportunity and time to actively participate in and reflect on each activity and the experience as a whole. I am forever grateful for the experience."
"My experience in LDPE was one of expanding my empathy for myself and others… made me more aware of the impact I can have on others when I am kind to myself and know myself more fully… After this experience, I know more people at OSU and know them in ways that create a deeper sense of connectedness for me in the workplace."
"I learned a lot about myself through personal assessments, and I truly enjoyed learning about different combinations of skills, strengths and leadership styles from my cohort… I really appreciated the variability that LDPE offered – different assessments, mentorship, teamwork, opportunity to learn more about and engage in diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions… I am also grateful for the camaraderie and new connections that I developed through this program."
"Being part of LDPE was an amazing opportunity to get to know some brilliant colleagues while learning about personal factors that can influence leadership style and strategies to improve… I also greatly appreciated the emphasis on DEI. I was interested in joining the program to gain a better understanding of how to manage diverse groups of people, and came away with that and so much more."
"Thanks to LDPE, I think I've gained a better understanding of my strengths, but, also, I'm better at identifying others strengths."
"Due to LDPE, I come to my leadership and team building with a new understanding of personality types and strengths."
"During LDPE, I learned that even if we don't have supervising assignments, we are all still leaders."
"This [LDPE] will allow me to approach leadership in the future with more empathy and understanding."
“Through my LDPE mentoring, I was able to explore concepts such as: where I can exert control vs. influence, building emotional self-awareness, and making space for self-reflection.”
“This project combined both of my roles and allowed me to connect with stakeholders across campus, with companies in the Portland area, and with OSU senior leadership.”
“Throughout the project, I was reminded of the importance of communication, vision, accountability, flexibility and decision-making skills… As a result of this project, I feel I have gained new insights, new skills and a new appreciation for the tools I already bring to the process…”
“Leadership lessons [learned] included learning about how strategy and structure drive an organization, the importance of communicating a clear mission and values, and techniques for influencing others to achieve genuine commitment and investment in partnerships.”
“Being a details person, my mentor helped me look at my project—and day-to-day work—with ‘big-picture’ eyes, which allowed me to see it differently, make changes, and have a greater impact. The interpersonal assessments facilitated by Ohio State were also invaluable and enlightening, helping me to grow singularly and within my team.”